Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Change Your Windows Live ID Primary Email Address

Over the lifetime of my Microsoft Passport/Windows Live ID I've had to do this once or twice and it can be a real bugger if you don't know how. I'll start by mentioning that you can't do this unless you've registered your Live ID with a third-party email address (i.e not hotmail.com or live.com). Thankfully I registered mine with a Mail2Web address I used to use so this wasn't a problem. Another annoying limitation is that you can only perform this function in Internet Explorer, the change email address button simply does not render in any other browser.

First thing you need to do is visit http://home.live.com and sign in with your current username and password. Once signed in you need to click the drop-down arrow next to your sign in name in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Select the "View Your Account" from the drop down menu. 

As I mentioned before, your only going to be able to do this if your in Internet Explorer, I know this sucks, I'm a Mac user at home and run FireFox and Safari, it doesn't work in either. When you load this page in IE you will see a "Change" button next to your primary email address. The form is pritty self explanatory for here so I won't insult your intelligence any further ;-)

Hope this saves you some time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you register your Live ID with a third party email address?

Windows live mail technical support said...

It works perfect. By the time a write this, with the method proposed here I don't even have the mentioned hollow area Very thanks!! visit more info Windows live mail support also Call +1-800-231-4635 (Toll Free).

Mary Walker said...

Superb Article its so helpful for us ,. Visit- Windows live mail support also Call +1-800-231-4635 (Toll Free) .

Jade Graham said...

The whole point of having more than one account is to keep stuff separate. sign in-hotmail